Sweet and spicy nuts – these for me are a Christmas/New Year’s treat, lovely with a glass of something bubbly. But after all the miles I’ve put in this year, and on second thoughts, I think these would also make a fab trail mix. There’s a lovely combination of sugary, salty, spiced, goodness. And it’s all a little retro!
This year I made these for a friend of mine and will be making more for drinkies and celebrations over the next couple of weeks.
Sweet and spicy nuts are easy to throw together and so well worth the effort. So here goes…
3 tbsps sugar
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 tsp ground cinnamon
pinch ground cloves
1/2 tsp curry powder
1/4 tsp ground cumin
- Heat oven to 180°C/350°F/gas 4. Place the almonds and pecans on a large backing tray. Bake for 5-10 mins until the nuts are a lovely brown. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Combine the salt, sugar and spices in a small bowl and mix.
- Heat a large frying pan. Add the almonds and pecans. Sprinkle the spice mixture over the nuts.
- Stir, stir and keep stirring until the sugar has melted and is coating the nuts. If they stick together, separate them with a wooden spoon.
- When done, remove from the heat and spread on a baking tray to cool.
- Eat and enjoy! Great with something bubbly!
Adapted from The Essential Vegetarian Cookbook.